Sunday, June 3, 2012

Daikon Salad

For three years I lived in Yokosuka, Japan during my husbands time in the Navy. While we were there we would visit a local Izakaya with friends to drink and eat.  Oh, the things I ate there: mochi cheese, pregnant fish on a stick, octopus "suckers" in wasabi sauce.  I would try anything at least once and there were many items I would order every time we went. One of my favorite dishes was the daikon salad. It was fresh, crisp, and probably the lowest calorie item on the menu.  Here is my version of the salad. You will want to add the dressing and garnishes at the very last minute. Don't make too much as it doesn't keep well and it will get soggy & limp.

Ingredients:

8oz Daikon julienned
3 oz English Cucumber - only edges julienned
1-2 radishes julienned
1/4 tomato sliced thinly
a sprinkling of micro greens
a sprinkling of deep fried mung bean threads 
Ponzu
Olive oil
Sea Salt

Directions:

  1. Julienne all of the veggies with the exception of the tomato. I use a mandolin to make life easy.
  2. deep fry a small amount of mung bean threads in canola oil, sprinkle with sea salt and set aside.
  3. Place julienned veggies in a bowl and mix with 3 tsp ponzu and 1 tsp olive oil
  4. Season with sea salt. Mix well
  5. Arrange on a plate and then add tomatoes around the edges 
  6. Sprinkle micro greens on top and then add a touch of the fried mung bean threads just before serving
  7. Enjoy! 


















No comments :

Post a Comment