Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Gnocchi Salad

Way back in my Ann Arbor days I used to frequent a local deli on State street called Amer's.  This place was chock full of goodies to eat, but one of my favorite things on the menu was a simple looking but fabulous gnocchi salad. I have honestly thought about this dish more than once over the years and I have never seen another deli anywhere make a salad like it. Since it has been a dozen or so years since I was a townie kicking around A2,  I simply couldn't remember what was in the salad that made it so tasty.  So, fingers crossed, I called the good people at Amer's and they were kind enough to tell me.  Obviously this salad is a local favorite because it is still on the menu after all o this time. Thank goodness for that! The ingredient list is short and sweet and as they stated "the cheese makes it".  :)

Here is my version of Amer's gnocchi salad. I have substituted mini gnocchi for full size gnocchi and gouda for chedder.  I also used garlic olive oil. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of mini gnocchi. I used the brand "Anna" 17 oz. 
  • 1 large roasted red pepper from a jar.
  • 1 green onion
  • 1/2 a wheel of Trader Joe's Smoked Dutch Cheese (Gouda) cubed
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • drizzle of garlic infused olive oil. 
  • one sweet basil leaf

Directions:

1. Boil gnocchi until they float to the surface of the pot. Rinse under cool water and drain. Try to leave gnocchi slightly warm.
2. Stir in chopped red pepper and cubed cheese.
3. Microplane one clove of garlic and add to the mix.
4. Add thin slices of green onion
5. drizzle with olive oil, and salt & pepeer to taste. Mix well.
6. Chiffonade a leaf of basil and sprinkle on the finished dish.

Best at room temperature.



No comments :

Post a Comment