Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Old School Tuna Pasta Salad


















When I was a kid this dish was a summertime staple. It was never made any other time of the year.  My grandmother would top it with hard boiled eggs and a lot of paprika. Sometimes the meat in the dish was just tuna and sometimes she added cocktail shrimp. I looked forward to having a sample just after it was made and still at room temperature.  Here is my version of a family classic.

Ingredients:

2 cups of dry noodles. I used Fiore (flower) shaped pasta.
1 can of water packed tuna
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup sliced Spanish olives w/pimento
1/4 cup of mayo. I used Kewpie but my grandmother always used Miracle Whip.
1 whole roasted pepper from a jar.
Salt & Pepper
2 sliced eggs (optional)
dill (optional)

Directions:

1. Boil your pasta. Rinse under cold water. Drain. Make sure the noodles are cool. 
2. Chop onions and red pepper.
3. Add tuna and veggies to the noodles.
4. Stir in mayo.
5. Salt & Pepper to taste
5. Garnish with slices of hard boiled eggs and paprika.
6. Refrigerate.

I like mine on fresh herb salad with a little dill. I also  sometimes add a bit more mayo and seasoning just before serving. :)

Enjoy!



No comments :

Post a Comment